Boy has there been a lot of happenings since the last time I wrote... but that'll be for another day.
So... about that movie I promised to talk about.
Sci-fi movies are close to my heart. Ever since I was a little kid, I loved seeking out movies about giant bugs, space monsters, aliens, etc. I grew up seeking out and watching all of the classic 1950's B-movies, like Them!, The Thing from Another World, IT Came from Outer Space, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, The Great Behemoth... and the list goes on.
I don't just watch the cheap, campy stuff; I also enjoy the poignant classics and underground stuff that critics rave about. It's like I say, good horror and sci-fi can offer audiences deep messages that are often subtle, and make you think about or question something. But that's not the type of movies I am referring to in this post... I'm referring to the fun, silly stuff.
Unfortunately, like with any other medium, for every 1 good sci-fi/horror films there are 10 terrible ones. Just think of all the stupid titles you have heard of (most of them coming from the once great, now atrocious Syfy channel):
- Ice Spiders
- Frankenfish
- Arachnid
- Sharktopus vs Pteracuda
- Mega Shark vs Mecha Shark
- Croczilla
And the list goes on...
These movies end up with notoriety, like Manos the Hands of Fate (fans of MST3K will be quite familiar with this one.) Thankfully, once in a while someone will make a film that doesn't take itself to seriously. Enter Big Ass Spider (yes, I know, stupid name)
This is a fun homage to the old 1950's B-movies, like The Deadly Mantis, The Beginning of the End, The Monster that Challenged the World, etc. This is a movie that understands what it is, and what their audience wants to see. It is a giant spider movie coupled with a buddy comedy... which makes for an enjoyable movie.
The plot is tried and true; so don't expect any inventive twists or basic originality... but it is executed well. An everyday Joe, working as an exterminator, befriends a security guard in an attempt to save the world from a giant, mutant spider (as well as get the girl.) Its' tongue is firmly in cheek, and has a healthy dose of silly humor.
If you are in the mood for a decent, silly sci-fi movie with humor, action, and a giant monster, I would definitely recommend Big Ass Spider. It pokes fun at itself and delivers on the main premise... cause that is definitely a big ass spider!
Catch you on the flip side...
Adam
No comments:
Post a Comment